Athletics Australia can today confirm that the following athletes have been identified for nomination to the Australian Olympic Committee in June, subject to them meeting ongoing form and fitness requirements, to compete at the 2012 London Olympic Games in the men’s and women’s marathon, as well as the men’s 20km walk.
Marathon nominations are at the discretion of the selectors in accordance with Clause B (4) of the Athletics Australia Nomination Criteria for the 2012 Olympic Games.
After considerable discussion, the Athletics Australia Selectors have identified the following six athletes:
– Jessica Trengove (SA, women’s marathon)
– Lisa Weightman (Vic, women’s marathon)
– Benita Willis (Vic, women’s marathon)
– Michael Shelley (Qld, men’s marathon)
– Martin Dent (ACT, men’s marathon)
– Jeff Hunt (NSW, men’s marathon)